As the feature set of Unleashed has expanded over the years, we have shied away from branding our software as being simple as this can create the wrong impression of how important Unleashed can be to a business. Even though it is easy to use and can simplify a business etc, foundational software like Unleashed should not be taken lightly. Having the right expectations of both moving your business onto new software PLUS the potentially new processes required to “keep it accurate” are essential.
From the many businesses I have helped it is clear to me that software is usually only half of the business solution – the processes maintained by users ongoing forms the other half. Often software is viewed as the silver bullet to business problems. Although it can help fix problems the people involved are just as important to a happy outcome ongoing.
In most cases Unleashed forms the hub of inventory transactional data flow therefore becomes a pivotal piece of your business. It is not merely an online add-on to update when you get time, especially as it is a perpetual system (i.e. works in real-time and wants to know what is happening as it happens). The benefits of Unleashed are greatly enhanced by a complete setup from the start coupled with clear expectations set for all involved.
So some quickfire points to help with your software transition;
- Scope the solution and processes well from the outset and understand it may well require multiple steps to complete, especially if there are multiple components required (i.e. accounting, inventory, e-commerce, other integrations). Note you can arrange a scoping session with us if you need help.
- Ensure there is an internal champion in your business to manage the implementation(s) from start to finish. Get external help from our partners if required.
- Make sure all team members impacted by the transition are informed and trained accordingly in advance on both software and expected processes.
- Allow a good amount of time to effect the transition. Rushing a change usually will hurt you. From what I have seen usually allow appx 2 weeks to prepare data for a planned go-live, conduct training and implement the software setup. Take your time on this and try not to cut corners.
- Expect a “bed down” period of up to a month post go-live to allow users to adopt the new software and processes. Change can be hard and should be managed closely by the champion ongoing.
We do offer free webinars on how to setup and use Unleashed which are well worth a look in advance.
In essence, please do not take your software transition lightly as it’s a foundational step for your business improvement.
Just let us know if we can help!
Greg Murphy, Unleashed Founder
Article by Melanie Chan in collaboration with our team of Unleashed Software inventory and business specialists. Melanie has been writing about inventory management for the past three years. When not writing about inventory management, you can find her eating her way through Auckland.