Importing data into a new system can be a daunting task. Not only do you have to worry about data formatting issues, but the actual data itself needs to be as current and up-to-date as possible. Here are some helpful tips to help make sure that this process is as easy as possible for you.
Data import recommendations
- Firstly, we recommend that you keep a copy of what you have exported from Unleashed as your back up.
- Always ensure that any columns that you add that calculate any increases are removed.
- Make sure that all of your calculated numbers are pasted as values only.
- Remove any rows that you are not updating!
- The product code is the identifier, so if you change this in Unleashed it will create a new product, so please be aware of this.
- We recommend opening the CSV file you want to import in notepad to confirm that everything looks OK before you import.
- Save a copy as a XLS, and make your changes in the XLS, and then save it as a CSV file.
- If you do need to make changes, then go to the XLS, with all the formatting and change it each time.
Check out our Data Import Checklist for more information.
Article by Melanie Chan in collaboration with our team of Unleashed Software inventory and business specialists. Melanie has been writing about inventory management for the past three years. When not writing about inventory management, you can find her eating her way through Auckland.